SERTEGO SA is a Spanish URBASER Group company dedicated to industrial hazardous and non- hazardous waste management. SERTEGO´s global nature, enables it to completely and efficiently solve any problem or requirement on waste management.It takes charge of all phases of the management cycle, from collection and transport, until the development of industrial waste recovery, recycling, valorization, regeneration and disposal processes development.
The company’s mains activity areas are:
- Used mineral oils regeneration and lubricant base sale
- Marpol waste treatment and fuel sale
- Waste recovery and treatment industrial plants
- Waste disposal facilities
- Logistic and transfer centers
SERTEGO is one of the main operators in the industrial waste management sector, responsible for the treatment of more than 750,000 waste tons during 2011. The company has more than 20 years of expertise, almost 34,000 clients throughout Spain and offers management solutions for all kinds of industrial waste better suited to the real needs of each client, regardless of size.
Key figures of SERTEGO:
|Turnover||120 million euros|
SERTEGO: Marpol Waste Treatment
Annex I of the Marpol Convention 73/78 regulates hydrocarbons discharges from vessels. There are three types of oil waste generated by vessels within this annex:
- Type A: residues from crude oil and ballast water polluted with crude oil
- Type B: residues from hydrocarbons and ballast water polluted with petroleum products different from crude oil and with a density lower or equal to 1.
- Type C: residues of cargo pump room bilges, machines or fuel and motor oils purification equipments
SERTEGO specializes in the reception of Type C-oil wastes at Spanish ports, and the processing of recovered fuel in its own facilities.
Equipped for total oil waste management
At present, SERTEGO has two facilities for integral treatment of oily mixtures from bilges in the ports of Algeciras (Spain) and Valencia (Spain), and two (2) more under construction in the ports of Las Palmas (Spain) and Tangier (Morocco). Beeld: algeciras
In addition, SERTEGO has transfer and storage centers in the ports of Alicante, Castellón, Sagunto, Gandía, Las Palmas, Huelva, Sevilla, Málaga, Almería, Cádiz, Motril, Carboneras and Palma de Mallorca. (beeld; sertego storage center
Increasing treatment capacity
Currently, the nominal treatment capacity at our facilities is 360,000 t/year. With the commissioning of the two new facilities, this annual volume will be increased up to 500,000 t/year. Last year, about 250,000 tonnes were treated with a recovery of 85,000 tonnes of fuel (32%).
The process is based on separation of the three phases which constitute the oily mixture:
- Aqueous phase: three steps treatment
- Primary treatment: decantation
- Secondary treatment: physicochemical
- Tertiary treatment: ozonation, biological purification and ultrafiltration
- Hydrocarbon phase: heating, filtration, emulsion cracking and decantation
- Solid phase: there are two types of sludge
- From filtration in the hydrocarbon phase, and
- From physicochemical treatment and biological purification